Musings on a Thursday

One more chapter to go! The excitement in my novel is all over. The body count has maxxed out. I just need one last short scene to wrap things up. And hopefully set things up for a third novel. I plan on typing those two wonderful little words (THE END) tomorrow afternoon.

Of course, that’s if I’m not stoned out of my gourd on pain meds. You see, tomorrow morning I get the first of my gum grafts. I’m thrilled beyond words. The surgeon advised me to eat a big breakfast before I come in. Usually, they tell you nothing by mouth after midnight. But I’m only getting Novocain, not a general anesthetic. And I suspect he’s hinting at something. Like maybe I won’t be eating much for the next several days. I may want to lose a pound or two (or fifteen), but fasts make me grouchy. Pain doesn’t help either. You’ve been warned. If you see me coming your way over the next few days, cross to the other side of the street.

Nevertheless, I’m planning on attending Laura Lippman’s booksigning on Sunday at Mystery Lovers Bookshop in Oakmont. I don’t know what kind of shape I’ll be in, but I’ll be there.

Afterwards, I plan to stop in to see my cousin. It’ll be the first time I’ve made it into the city since she’s been out of her coma. Her daughter warned me not to treat her like a little kid. She gets frustrated with people asking her “Do you know me?” Apparently if you ask her that, she turns her head and acts like you’re not in the room. Besides, she darned well better know me. And I’m planning on taking her some of Grandma’s daffodils from the farm. I do that every year, but usually I don’t have to deliver them to the hospital.

We’re coming to the last few days of our Word Watcher’s Challenge. How’s it going, Joyce? Judy? Are you making headway with your goals? Anyone else out there secretly joining in? How’s it going?

As for me? I think I’m going to make it this time.

Comments

Joyce Tremel said…
Yeah, I'm making progress. I wrote two whole pages. Whoopee.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Annette! You're really making some amazing progress on that book. I hope by the time you read this, you've typed those wonderful two words (The End!). I'm finally getting back to my writing after an insanely busy two weeks.

Good luck at the dentist. See you on Sunday.
Anonymous said…
Annette, this is such exciting news! Typing THE END, wow! Ordinarily, I'd say you need to pop open the champaign. But that wouldn't mix well with the meds. And chomping a big chocolate truffle wouldn't do well for the gums so, hmm. I guess you could treat yourself to a nice, thick milkshake. But then, you probably aren't allowed to use a straw. How about a spoon? (BTW, if you lost 15 pounds, we wouldn't be able to see you!!)

As for my progress, I did decide to keep the sister character (killing her in Chapter 4 didn't work for me). But I changed her role in the protagonist's life (it was just too I-don't-really-care before). Unfortunately for me, my writing progress matches Joyce's. We'll have to hope for more in the next couple of weeks.

Congratulations, Annette! And good luck with the gums. Ouch!
Annette said…
Judy, regarding the food, you're right about all of it (except the part where I would disappear if I lost 15 pounds...I WISH). Only soft, bland, non spicey or acidy foods for a week. I've decided that once I'm healed, I'm going to splurge on a big bag of barbecued potato chips!
Joyce Tremel said…
I made more progress last night. I added another scene that takes place just before the scene I'd been working on. I decided Summer needed to break into the dead guy's house. She just found his body in the previous scene and needed to get there before the police.

Popular posts from this blog

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Mom Update

Looking Ahead...