Memorial Day Ramblings

Happy Memorial Day! Although when you consider the somber nature of this holiday, wishing HAPPY Memorial Day doesn’t seem quite right. What then IS the proper greeting?

For most of us today marks the unofficial beginning to summer. I’m no different. It’s a day off. Well, no yoga classes tonight anyway. I did not have the luxury of sleeping in, though. Sammie gets her meds today, so I was up at 5AM. And since I was up anyway, I got in a half hour of working out with weights. Then hubby and I headed for the bike trail well before 9AM.

Back to the nature of the holiday for a moment. On our way to the bike trail, we drove past the new National Cemetery of the Alleghenies. It’s our local version of Arlington National Cemetery, but it’s still under construction, so at the moment, it lacks the quiet, dignified beauty of Arlington. Still, the small cluster of vivid white grave markers serve to remind what this day is all about.

Perhaps I’m a little more aware of it this year than most. My dad was a veteran of World War Two. While he passed away this January, we had his remains cremated. His burial will be in two weeks on June 12. At the National Cemetery of the Alleghenies.

Today was the first time I’d been past the new cemetery. It was a farm the last time I was down that road. Farmland still surrounds the area. I think it will be a lovely spot once the bulldozers and dirt mounds give way to a pond and landscaping.

The bike ride was nice, though.

On our way home, we stopped at the farm market our friends run. I received an invitation to go horseback riding later. I’ll finally get to break in the new saddle I received for Christmas!

In the meantime, I plan to get some work done on my manuscript. I’ve recently completed a hard copy read-through and edit. Now I have to translate the notes I scribbled in the margins onto the electronic version. As I said, no yoga classes today. But it’s not entirely a day off either. Ray has gone fishing and won’t be back until late, so I must take advantage of the quiet house this afternoon.

At least until it’s time to go riding!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Looking Ahead...