Operation: New Furniture

We went to IKEA this weekend. Every time I come out of that store, I’m exhausted. I think it’s because the way the store is laid out, you have to walk past every single item to get to what you want and back out again. You can’t just run to bedding and be done with it. No. You have to follow the arrows through kitchens and living rooms and storage units and bathrooms and office and…

I would be really annoyed if I weren’t so darned impressed by whatever retail genius came up with the design.

However, after wandering the entire maze on Sunday and then going back with the truck yesterday to order the ONE PIECE we wanted, I must say, I’ve enough of IKEA for a while.

We bought a three-door wardrobe for use as closet space in our living room. It should fit where my desk used to sit. At least, I HOPE it will fit where my desk used to sit. Currently the two boxes containing the pieces for the do-it-yourself project remain in the back of the pick up truck. Operation: Furniture Construction gets under way this evening. In the meantime, I have much to do to get ready. Our old steamer trunk, which has long been home to my off-season clothes, will have to go. I need to empty it and heave it out of the way. There are other piles of “stuff” in that corner that need cleared and the couch must be shoved into the middle of the room to make work space for the project.

Add a trip to the chiropractor to my “to-do” list.

Our trip to IKEA yesterday served another purpose besides wearing me out. The pick up hasn’t gotten much use this summer and we have some small hope of going camping at some point before snow flies, so this jaunt became a practice run to make sure everything still worked.

Everything does NOT still work. The air conditioner is on the fritz. And we got stuck in traffic on our way home. Both of us smelled something that we hoped wasn’t us. Later when we exited the four-lane highway and slowed down at the end of the ramp, we heard a nasty rattle, clang, banging sound. We pulled over and climbed out, but nothing was dragging and nothing seemed to have fallen off, but when the noise continued and we pulled over a second time, hubby determined that the brake on the rear driver’s side wheel had come apart inside. Yep, that nasty smell had been us. Or at least our brakes.

We made it home, but now have a few issues to address before giving serious thought to hauling the camper down the road. Better we found them before we head out on vacation. IF we get to head out on vacation.

Here are a couple of before pictures of the corner that needs storage space. I’ll let you know how it goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Looking Ahead...