Trial Separation

No, I’m not talking about my hubby and me.

I’m heading out of town this weekend for a Pennwriters board of directors meeting. I will leave early (REALLY early) Saturday morning and return home late Sunday morning or early afternoon.

Skye will be staying home with hubby. This will be the first time I’ll be away for more than a few hours since Skye came to live with us a month ago and I’m not sure how she’s going to react. Especially, the staying home with hubby part.

She and my husband haven’t exactly bonded yet. He has tried. Perhaps too hard. I think that’s the problem. That plus the fact that he accidentally tripped over her in the middle of the night. She firmly believes he kicked her. Intentionally. Now, he comes home and if she acknowledges his presence at all, it’s to fix him with a withering stare.

I’ve been trying to mediate a truce. I’ve been coaching him on how to casually stroke her ONCE and then walk away before she bolts from his touch. She needs to learn that while he may not be the most careful human when it comes to placing his feet in the dark, he really is a good guy.

I hope this weekend will give them an opportunity to bond. He’ll be the one feeding her. That alone may earn him some brownie points.

Okay, I confess that I’m a little worried. Skye had been abandoned by her previous family and I don’t want her to think that I’m abandoning her, too. She does tend to get miffed at me when I’m gone for more than eight hours at a stretch. I keep reminding her that she’s lucky. Most people’s jobs keep them away from home for at least eight hours EVERY DAY. Once I get Mom home and mended from her hip surgery, I’ll be back at my desk writing all day, I tell her. But she just looks at me as if to say, “Yeah. Right. I’ll believe it when I see it.”

I know what she means. I miss those days of writing from 9 to 5. But I do plan on at least squeezing in an hour a day beginning next week. I’ve let my creativity flounder for long enough. I have a short story rolling around in my brain that needs to be put on paper. Or on the computer screen. I have a new novel to be outlined. If I don’t get to work on SOMETHING, my brain will explode.

But first, Skye and hubby and I have to get through this weekend’s trial separation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1