Looking back...

2008 is winding to a close.

Last year, I was thrilled to see 2007 (and 2006, for that matter) come crashing to an end. They’d both been crappy years.

2008 has had its challenges. Highs and lows. Mom started the year doing well, then dislocated her new hip for a fourth time, followed by more surgery and time in the Health Center. By Easter, she was home again and has only improved by leaps and bounds since then.

I did not complete a manuscript this year. A definite low. But not in the same category as losing family members. And I did have a few funerals to attend again this year.

Instead of completing the manuscript, I’ve been working on the Pennwriters Conference. Online registration opens January 2nd. That’s a huge, momentous occasion for all of us involved in this task. But it is neither the beginning nor the end. It’s just a milestone among many others.

Skye is fat and sassy and rules the house with an iron paw. Nothing new there. But all good.


My biggest accomplishment this year was losing twenty pounds and getting back into shape. I feel better. And my clothes fit.

As always, there is a long list of things I DIDN’T do this year. Or didn’t do ENOUGH of. I didn’t spend enough time with friends. I didn’t write enough, query enough, submit enough. I didn’t horseback ride enough. I didn’t meditate or practice yoga enough.

No, I’m not beating myself up over any of this. It just gives me something to focus on as I ring in the New Year.

Are any of you assessing the year gone by? Care to share any of your ups or downs? We’ll focus on plans, goals, and resolutions later in the week. For now, it’s time to look back and take stock.

Farewell, 2008.

Comments

Sara said…
Awwwwww, How cute is Skye?!
Annette said…
Yes, isn't she adorable when she's sleeping? Not the snarling, raving maniac you're used to when it's time to play Catfish.
Sue Sunshine said…
I read your article first, Annette. I love what you wrote and it was so inspirational that I went and read Lisa's. You gave me a lot of ideas. *smile*

Have a great 2009!
Annette said…
Hey, Sue. Thanks for stopping by. I know you've definitely had a rough spell in '08. A cyber toast to 2009 being a brighter, better year for all.

And, yes, I love Lisa Scottoline and her latest Chick Wit illustrates why. She's the best.
Kathleen said…
Skye sleeping on books in the sun... Life is good! Here's to an awesome 2009!

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Looking Ahead...