Go West: Day Nine

Saturday, June 15, 2013

My biggest challenge was trying not to think about this being our last full day of our trip to the west. This wasn’t easy since we had to box up all our dirty clothes and Hubby’s fishing gear to take to the UPS store to be shipped home. A brilliant idea, by the way. No checked luggage to be lost. Or transferred if flights got mixed up, delayed, or diverted. It also meant I wouldn’t have to wash those dirty clothes until the UPS man delivered them back to my house.

But I digress.

Silver City is an old mining (silver, of course) town and boasts being the home of Billy the Kid. The cabin where he grew up had been razed, but a reproduction cabin, which had been used in filming the Tommy Lee Jones movie The Missing, stood in the spot.




Next we toured the Silver City Museum, which had a really nice gift shop. Hubby bought me a pair of turquoise earrings that matched my necklace. Happy belated anniversary!

After lunch at a Mexican restaurant where Leta schooled us on the fine points of green chiles, we headed to Pinos Altos.

This place was about as Old West as I’d seen.




Complete with a couple of saloon hussies!


Hubby found the artwork of special interest. Note: HE took these photos. I did not.



Lots of interesting tidbits everywhere we looked.




On our way back to Leta’s house, we stopped at Circle Heart Western Wear. Besides fly fishing, the one thing Hubby wanted during this trip was a new straw hat. And he found one. Turn about’s fair play, so I bought it for him. Happy belated anniversary!

Hubby and I were both tired of eating out—it took ten days, but it finally happened!—and word of my “famous” potato soup had made it all the way to New Mexico, so Leta and I whipped up a big pot for dinner. Exhausted, we spent our last evening there crashed around the TV watching…you guessed it… a Western.

Tomorrow: the long journey home.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1