From the Past to the Future

A little over a year ago, we had to make the difficult decision to move my mom from her house to an assisted living home. It’s been difficult for both of us on many levels, one of which being the fact I’ve lived two doors away from her for decades. Now I live two doors away from an empty house. Seeing it day in and day out makes my heart heavy. Going through it in preparation to put it on the market has been gut wrenching. I do well for a while, tossing stuff that Mom saved for heaven-only-knows what reason. But then I come across something that has sentimental value, and I choke up. I lock the house, come home, and weep.

But this weekend, we’re turning a page. Moving from the Past to the Future. We have a buyer for the house. My grand nephew. Yes, the family home is staying in the family. I couldn’t be happier.

He’s moving in over the next few days. I still have to go through Mom’s “stuff” and clear it out. But some of what’s left after a year of my slow archeological dig can stay. He and I will go through it and determine what he wants to keep, what I want to take, and what can be sold or tossed.

I’ve noticed many of the houses in this area are now owned by younger generations of the same families I’ve grown up with. So it will also be with Mom and Dad’s place. My grand nephew will be the SIXTH generation on the property that’s part of the old Miller Farm, dating back to my great-grandparents.


I like the feeling of continuity. And it brings my mom some peace, knowing her great grandson will be living in the house she hated to leave.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Looking Ahead...