Why I Walk

On November 4, I will participate in my third Walk to End Alzheimer's.

It's a small thing. A couple hours out of one morning of my life. But every time I've done it, the tears follow me, just beneath the surface. An ache for what this disease has taken from me, from my family, and my friends. Is there anyone out there who has not been touched in some way by this disease? I don't know of any.

I lost my dad over ten years ago. I lost him much earlier than that to Alzheimer's. He slipped away in dribs and drabs.

The first time I walked, it was in his memory.

Last year, my mom was failing. Technically, not from Alzheimer's, but from a close cousin to the disease, Vascular Dementia. I walked in memory of my dad and to honor my mom.

This year, I walk in memory of both of them. Because I wouldn't wish the disease on my worst enemy. Having it. Being a caregiver to someone who has it. Loving someone who has it. It all is cruel beyond words.

This year, I'm a "team leader." I thought I was going to be a team of one. But a dear friend who knows what it's like to love someone with Alzheimer's is joining me. If you're in the Pittsburgh are on November 4th and want to feel the power of doing something you're otherwise powerless to help, I invite you to join my team. Or make a donation. You can do either or both here.

One other small thing I do is donate a portion of my royalties from the sale of Lost Legacy, which is dedicated to my dad's memory, to the Alzheimer's Association.

I've done since the first copy was sold. I'll do it until the last copy leaves the shelves.

If you want to walk, but can't join mine, find a walk near you. We need to end this disease. Here and now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1