Life Changes

I’ve been totally off kilter the last few months. My mom…feisty, independent, tough-as-nails...has taken a major hit healthwise.

Only a few months ago, she was outside, leaving her cane behind, scrubbing down her house and trimming her shrubs. Now, with no solid explanation, she’s wheelchair bound, unable to walk without a lot of assistance.

As I last wrote, she’d been in the hospital for almost two weeks. She was doing pretty well at home afterwards…until she fell. Nothing was broken, but she sort of came apart at the seams on a lot of levels. She’s been in a nursing facility ever since, getting PT and OT. But she still can’t get back to walking on her own.

She’s also not so bad off that they can keep her much longer. This according to the insurance company, which of course, runs the show. Don’t get me started.

Anyhow, once my upcoming book tour concludes, Mom will be moving in with us. Three adults and two cats in a very small house. It’ll be interesting. I may be delusional, but I still have hopes for a medical explanation and solution to her dizziness and balance issues.

(No, it’s not inner ear…everyone asks, and it was ruled out long ago as the cause).

Thank goodness I have a career that allows me to work from home 90 percent of the time. Mom fears she’ll be a burden. I laughed and told her I intend to make her earn her keep. I plan to give her a Swiffer and the Dust Buster and she can round up all my dust bunnies.

She thinks I’m kidding. Ha!

No, it’s not the ideal solution. There is no ideal solution. But we do what we have to. And for now, this is it.





Comments

Bobbi Carducci said…
I am with you in spirit as you walk this path. If you want to talk anytime day or night don't hesitate to get in touch. Praying for your mom.
Annette said…
Thanks, Bobbi. I may take you up on that. Right now, I'm clinging to my copy of Imperfect Caregiver!
Unknown said…
You're a good daughter, Annette. Sending best wishes to you all.
Annette said…
Thanks, Lee Ann.
Dru said…
I'll be thinking of you both. Sending prayers and good thoughts for you both.
Annette said…
Thank you, Dru.

Popular posts from this blog

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Mom Update

Looking Ahead...