Obstacles Ahead

On Monday, I wrote like a crazy, possessed woman. It was glorious! I love being in the zone, sort of knowing what I need to write, but not exactly. It was one of those days when my characters take over and I’m along for the ride, waiting to see what happens next.

Tuesday, I woke up and realized I had a serious flaw in what I'd written. I’d missed an obvious and easy way out of my character’s predicament. Not good when you’re trying to build suspense. Clearly I needed a few more obstacles in her path.  

So I spent the next few days un-doing and RE-doing what I'd joyously pounded out on Monday. It’s a wonder my delete key isn’t worn out yet. Cut this, add that. Reword something else. I chopped large chunks. My page count went in reverse. I added some new stuff back in. For three days I worked like crazy, but my page count ended up right where it was on Monday.

Today, I'm happy to report I'm back on track and barreling forward once again. I had hoped to be done with the first draft by Sunday. Doesn’t look like I’ll make it, but it’s CLOSE. Oh, so close.  

At least until I discover another fatal flaw.


Popular posts from this blog

2018: Looking Ahead

Road Trip!

New Mexico, June 2016