Once again, I’ve been remiss in posting here. To be honest, until last week, I didn’t have a lot to blog about. Where The Guilty Hide is still with my publisher as is Helpless. 

I’ve made great progress on the second Detective Honeywell Mystery, as yet untitled. Beginning next week, I’m going back into Book Jail to finish the first draft, hopefully before my developmental edits on Helpless come back from my editor. 

So I’ve been busy writing. Except for last week. 

I mentioned back in June that Death By Equine had been named a finalist for the 2021 Dr. Tony Ryan Book Award. Last week, Thursday, November 3, was the cocktail reception at Castleton Lyons Farm for the award presentation.

Most of a writer’s life is taken up by the stuff I just shared. Drafting a new book, editing another, waiting to hear from publishers. Getting nice reviews is often what keeps us plugging onward. And PLOTTING onward. To be nominated or named a finalist is nothing short of a dream. 

My husband joined me on my road trip from our Pennsylvania home, through West Virginia to Lexington, Kentucky. It’s been a while since we traveled that far by car, and we had a blast.

My fellow finalists (Dawn LeFevre and Jennifer Morrison) and I took part in a book signing at the Lexington Joseph-Beth and got to know each other a bit. They’re terrific and so are their books. I was 100% convinced one of them was the winner. No doubt in my mind. 

Later that afternoon, Hubby and I got spiffed up and headed to Castleton Lyons. The cocktail reception was held in a room above their historic Stallion Barn, which, Hubby pointed out, is nicer than our house. I got to pet Gio Ponti’s nose and inhale the horsey smells, which is perfume to my nose. 

By the time everyone arrived, there had to be a hundred people in that room. There was a huge check, but no name on it. The three crystal trophies sat on a dresser behind it. 


Each of us had a gorgeous poster, which Hubby wanted to steal. We didn’t have to. They gave them to each of us. 

After a lot of schmoozing and drinking (in my case, ginger ale to calm my stomach), each of us was called up to the podium to talk about our books. Thanks to alphabetical order, I got to go first, which was good. I was able to relax and listen to Dawn’s and Jennifer’s amazing talks.

Besides, I figured I was done for the evening.

Then Dr. Tony Ryan’s son, Shane, took the mic to name the winner. Hubby and I were in the very rear of the room because I knew the name being called wouldn’t be mine. 

Except… 

Shane said, “And the winner is…Death By—” 


At which point, I think I blacked out for a second. Hubby thought he was going to have to catch me. But I gathered my wits, threw my phone at him, and said, “Take pictures!” and made my way to the podium once again to make an acceptance speech I had never rehearsed. 

Okay, it was a variation of the five acceptance speeches I’ve never had a chance to make during the Agatha Award banquets. 

Now, a week later, I still can’t quite believe it. I have that big check with my name on it leaning against a wall here in my office. The poster is in the living room along with the crystal trophy, a replica of the round tower, which Dr. Ryan had constructed of field stone at Castleton Lyons, to honor a similar structure at the Rock of Cashel in County Tipperary, Ireland. I keep looking at these treasures to remind myself, yes, that night really did happen. 



I am now an “award-winning author.” 

Oh, and on my way out of the award ceremony, I stopped to again pet Gio Ponti’s nose. He definitely brought me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1