Looking Back at 2021

At the beginning of the year, I posted what I was looking forward to in 2021. I included a mix of concrete goals (the stuff I had control over) and hopeful goals. In looking back at that post, I did pretty well on the concrete stuff. Less so with the rest. 

I managed to self-publish a novel and a short story collection. In the process, I've learned a lot. I also have a lot to learn on that front. Going forward, I don't have immediate plans to do any more self-publishing, but it's good to have that option available. 


I turned in the next Zoe Chambers mystery to my new publisher. And I completed a first draft of a manuscript I've been starting and stopping for a while. We don't have a contract for it yet, but at least that crappy first draft is DONE.

My fabulous agent managed to land an audio contract for Death By Equine as well as placing it on a couple of new reading platforms, KISS and Scream. 


As for the rest of my goals? The conferences I'd hoped to attend were all canceled. I was fortunate enough to be invited to participate in More Than Malice, a virtual conference that was NOT a virtual Malice Domestic, but a different breed entirely, put out there to help recoup some of the financial losses of two canceled Malice Domestics. 

I kept some pretty impressive company last July!

I also taught at the virtual Pennwriters Conference. 

Later in the year, the world opened up enough to allow me to do some in-person events. 

Interviewing pal Liz Milliron at her book launch

Keynote speaker at the Festival of Books

Introduced Craig Johnson at his Mystery Lovers Bookshop appearance

I'd forgotten how much I love seeing real people! 

On a personal note, my husband and I lost a couple of close friends, one to Covid, one to cancer, in 2021. 

So it's been two rocky years in a row. As this one ends, I can say I met my deadlines, had some great times, and can start 2022 with a clean slate. Check back tomorrow when I'll write about my goals and hopes for the New Year.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1