Report on my Mental Health Week

My much anticipated Mental Health Week is over. Hubby has returned from the wilds of northern Pennsylvania and I once again seem to have “Complaint Department” stamped across my forehead.

I admit it was kind of fun ignoring the emails and phone calls demanding I fix this or help with that for a few days. The downside, of course, is that I’ve had to face them all this morning.

I didn’t succeed in all I had hoped to do—and not do. At least not to the extent I’d planned. Then again, “planning” was one of the things I was trying to avoid.

I DID practice yoga without interruption, but only once. I DID take a relaxing walk on a beautiful early autumn day. But only once. I did put in a full day of writing. But only once.

Do you catch the ongoing theme here?

I didn’t nap, but I did read an entire novel. And I played with the cats a LOT.

Another happy diversion that I hadn’t originally planned on was a trip to Oakmont to meet the legendary Sara Paretsky, author of the V.I. Warshawski series. I confess, until now I had never read any of her stuff. How I managed to miss out all these years is beyond me. To correct the error, I’ve already started reading her latest, Body Work. And I’m loving it.

I started out by meeting my friends Nancy Martin and Laurie Kassim for lunch. Then we strolled down the street to the Oakmont Library to snag excellent seats for the talk.

I should mention that Laurie comes very close to being a Paretsky groupie.

(Laurie with Sara Paretsky)
She was more nervous about meeting her idol than I would be if faced with Johnny Depp.

Well, maybe not.

I also was able to visit with another writer pal, Judy Schneider, for a bit. It was a pleasant day with good friends, and provided lots of inspiration.
(Left to right: Mary Alice Gorman of Mystery Lovers Bookshop, Sara Paretsky, me, and--in the background--is Judy Schneider chatting with Nancy Martin)

Now, it’s back to real life and the usual obstacles to getting any writing done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Mom Update

Looking Ahead...