Looking Back: 2020

I've been dragging my feet about writing this post. Let's face it. Most of us would much prefer to forget about 2020 rather than look back at it. But I don't think we can do a good job of looking forward without acknowledging what we've been through.

I released two books in 2020. Under the Radar came out in late February. I had lots of travel plans, book festivals, mystery conferences, and book signings lined up. I managed to squeak in my launch party, a joint event with pal Liz Milliron at Mystery Lovers Bookshop. 


But the rest of my plans fell, one by one, like dominos. 

My second 2020 book, Til Death, came out in June. 


My launch party and subsequent appearances were virtual. My sales took a hit, but not as bad as I'd anticipated. Folks were stuck at home and reading more. Plus, with no travel expenses, my finances balanced out. 

Still, my writing career seemed to be in freefall for much of the year. Til Death was the last book of my contract. As I wrote it, I thought it might be the end of the Zoe Chambers series, so I wanted to wrap up all the threads for my loyal readers. However, I left the door open for more. Never say never. 

I'd hoped to sign with an agent I'd been communicating with for several years. COVID changed all that. The hoped-for offer of representation fell through. With no contract, no agent, and no deadlines, I floundered. I started querying other agents and received some lovely rejections, but they were still rejections. I tried making a plan. Actually, several. Plans A, B, C, and D. 

Finally, near the end of October, I received an offer of representation and signed with an agent I adore! She got busy and landed me a three-book contract for more Zoe mysteries, which I signed at the end of November. As is so often the case...at least in my writing journey...everything moves at a snail's pace and then BAM! 

I'm ending the year on a high note professionally. I once again have a contract and deadlines. I think I'm on Plan E at this point. 

No, 2020 did not go as I'd expected. I suffered the loss of a dear friend (I miss you, Ramona) and watched several friends and family members battle (and thankfully survive) COVID. But I'm still here. Tomorrow starts a new year and I'll post about my goals for 2021 then. 

Happy New Year's Eve!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1