The Train

Last Friday, I wrote about the light at the end of the tunnel and how I feared it might turn out to be a train. Well, it was.

Mom was supposed to come home today. I had her to the doctor on Tuesday and he took her out of her brace, pleased with the healing shown on the x-rays. All was good.

And then yesterday, while sitting in her chair reading the newspaper, the hip dislocated again.

I followed the ambulance into Allegheny General Hospital as it transported her to the emergency room. After more x-rays and a thorough exam, they asked me where the brace was.

It was at home.

I had to drive home, get the brace, and drive back to the city, a two-hour round trip, while they put Mom under and put the hip back in joint. Thank goodness for Starbucks. I was cruising on the strength of a venti white chocolate mocha.

Once it was all done, I was able to drive Mom back to the Health Center, arriving there around 10:30 last night. What a day.

So she’s scheduled for more surgery next week. Obviously, this thing is not going to stay put on its own. The only thing keeping it there is the brace.

Somehow, I think there must be a book in all of this. A short story at the very least. But all this up-close-and-personal research of the medical and nursing home worlds has got to be good for something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1