Citizen's Police Academy: Week One

I’ve calmed down a bit from my frazzled state of mind on Monday. I used the quiet time on my chiropractor’s spinalator to get a grip. Marvelous invention. They need to come up with a home version of it.

With my mind relaxed and my bones back where they belong, I headed to Hazelwood, a neighborhood in Pittsburgh where I had never been before, for class one of the Citizen’s Police Academy. I love my GPS. Without it, I’d STILL be wandering the streets of Pittsburgh trying to find my way there (or home). Thanks to rush hour traffic, I came very close to being late. As it was, I slipped in right on time. My fellow Sister in Crime and Working Stiff, Gina, was already there, saving me a seat.

Class one consisted of lots of talk. The Chief of Police, Nathan Harper, was there. So was the Chief of Detectives and a variety of public officials and politicians. Everyone welcomed us and promised us a fun experience. Then we had a lecture regarding the history of the police, going back to somewhere around 2100 B.C., right up to modern times. Maybe it doesn’t sound all that interesting, but I am something of a history buff, so I enjoyed it.

Next week, we’re supposed to get an introduction to the legal system and the criminal justice system. Personally, I’m eagerly awaiting the class where they do a mock drug bust. And of course, crime scene investigation.

But that’s down the road a ways.

Shifting gears, my mom got a good report from Dr. Ray on Tuesday. But she’s still going to be stuck at the Washington County Health Center for three more weeks. He’s taking no chances. I think the only person who wants to see Mom need more surgery LESS than Mom and me is Dr. Ray. I would think his bag of tricks is getting depleted by now.

Mom was transported by ambulance, since she wasn’t permitted to sit up at 90 degrees (now she is, but we didn’t know that until the doctor gave the green light). I rode along. More research, since I intend on having one of my main characters in the new book be an EMT. I have a few years experience to draw on for that, but it’s been decades since I did that kind of work. The equipment has changed. What hasn’t is the rough ride for the poor emergency personnel trying to work in the back of a moving ambulance. I remember thinking it must be like surfing. I’ll never know, since I can’t swim, but I suspect that surfing is a lot smoother.

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not posting today at Working Stiffs. M.J. Rose is taking my slot this week. She’s a terrific author and her latest book, The Reincarnationist, is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Update

Agatha Nomination for Fatal Reunion!

Catching Up...AGAIN...Part 1